Monday, November 24, 2014

Football Season: How Not To Lose Interest

This post could also be titled: How To Remain Relevant To Your Husband From The Months of September to February!

I'm a Cheesehead. I'm part of The Pack. A Packer Backer. A Lambeau-Lover. I love me some Green Bay Packer Football! GO PACK GO!

OK, now that that's out of the way. I will admit that in previous football seasons I have only had interest in the Packer games. Since beginning a life with Mitch, a diehard member of the Steeler Nation (I know, how could I?!), come Sunday I'd plant myself on the couch, watch the Packer game, or what little was on because hubby would switch around to other games he was interested in, and when that was over I would switch my attention to Netflix or a book. More often than not, I'd take a nap. 

Until this year when my dear husband decided he wanted to put together a fantasy league. That's right, I'm sleeping with the commish. (commissioner for all you non-football fans out there) He needed participants and I said I'd play. I'd played in a league once before and done rather well so I figured, what the heck?! My start was rocky, losing my first two matchups. But, I got better, smarter, picked up some good players and even cashed in on a pretty sweet trade (I picked up Jamaal Charles for Martellus Bennett....I know you're jelly). One thing I didn't really factor into this endeavor was growing a little bit closer with my husband on the sports front. Previously our sports interactions were relegated to the two rivalries we have; I'm a Gator Girl and he's All Vol (but I've converted him, for the most part, at least he's no longer a Gator Hater!) and, of course, the ever present Packer/Steeler rivalry. All the rest of our interactions to do with sports is him asking if I saw that play and me, not looking up from what I was doing, mumbling "uh huh, it was cool." Now, don't get me wrong, my eyes can still get a little glazed when he talks about certain things and this does not spill over into any other sport. But I will cherish the extra bonding that we get by playing in a league together. 

And hey, look! I'm winning this week against my friend's hubby! #SorryNotSorry, Reading Rainbow!

Week 12 and I'm winning! And yes, my team name is, in fact, Clay Matthews Band. Love me some Clay Matthews! 

No comments:

Post a Comment